February 21, 2011

Monday madness

Today was a holiday for Jon and I. That meant that we had an entire three-day weekend to do what we wanted with Nico, as we had NO plans. We spent some family time on Saturday, including visiting a reptile zoo in Ottawa. On Sunday, we chose to take it easy and relax with Nico. On Monday, we went through a clean-the-house frenzy! It was MADNESS! Jon and I have a system that works fairly well. It kind of started once we moved to this house, without us actually declaring it a system or a rule. Jon cleans the entire basement {meaning tidying up, scrubbing, vacuuming, mopping, etc.} whereas I am in charge of doing the same on the entire main floor. In this same manner, we each have to clean one bathroom {which is much better than me doing both!}.

So, while I was cleaning my "part" of the house, I started to feel the need to purge and reorganize certain areas that had really been nagging at me, these areas being 1) the top of our bedroom dressers, 2) the infamous "junk drawer" {I my case, this drawer had become an entire dresser!} that seems to reside in every household, 3) the telephone area in the kitchen, and finally, 4) the three drawers in the upstairs bathroom.

To start, the top of our bedroom dressers {keep in mind, it looked a bit worst as I actually started tidying then realised I'd better take a before picture!}:

The second area was the junk dresser:
{I know, the dresser is not much to look at, but it has sentimental value as it was my grand-parents' and I inherited it after my grand-mother passed away and my grand-father moved into a little apartment. I do have the intention of possibly re-vamping it. But for now, it suits me just fine!}


Junk...
Junk...

And more junk...
{I could not open the top drawer more than that! It was too full!}

The third area, and really the easiest of the day, was the telephone area on the kitchen counter, which was just getting out of control:

Finally, the three drawers in the upstairs washroom. One drawer had combined stuff for the whole family {forgot to take a pic of this one! Oops!}

The second was mine {yes, I am responsible for that overloaded mess of a drawer}:
 

And the bottom one was Jon's {not much in there, just not organized}:

THE B & As (BEFORE AND AFTERS)

My goal in the bedroom was to get rid of the three baskets, which at the beginning seemed like a good idea, but over time, they just became home to things that belonged elsewhere. So, it was easy enough. I emptied the baskets and put things in there appropriate place or in a laundry basket to redistribute around the house:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Next, the junk drawer... ummm... dresser {I blush in shame...}. This housed soooooooo much junk, it really lived up to its name! I had pre-determined that the drawers would house the following: one drawer for pens, cheque books, phone/camera chargers, stapler, scissors, and other often used supplies; another drawer for table cloths and current catalogues; another for Nico's craft supplies, neatly organized; and the bottom drawer to house any unused decorating supplies {like candles, frames, bowls, etc.} that I have throughout the house, kind of like my own little decorating store!

I pulled out each drawer, starting from the bottom, and started purging either by throwing away/recycling, giving things a new home, or placing items in my laundry basket to be redistributed around the house.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

BEFORE:

AFTER:
{Empty for now... it will soon be my little decorating store!}

This was the stuff I pulled out of the drawers and the bedroom to go elsewhere in the house {I know, look at those lovely baskets just waiting to be filled and to be given a new organizing task!}:

The easiest purge was the telephone area in the kitchen, since most things didn't belong there to begin with. So, that was easy enough.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Finally, the washroom drawers. This purge was more of a throw-out-what-is-no-longer-good and reorganize-the-rest kind of purge. Plus, I find once you've already purged a few areas, near the end, you are just chucking things out left and right! So, that went quickly enough.

AFTER {sorry about forgetting to take the before!}:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Few! It can be quite a lot of work, but it feels so good and cleansing! The sad part of it is that those were the easiest purge to-dos on my list {see this previous post!}. The hardest ones are still to come... but they will also be the most rewarding.

What I didn't share was that I have also been working on a re-vamping project this weekend. Look for my reveal later this week!


My post is linked to:



2 comments:

  1. You have been working girl! Wow.... it is looking great! Thanks so much for linking to my organizing mission monday link party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all looks so nice and organized now! I need to do the same around here! :)

    ReplyDelete