February 20, 2011

Swirly letter

I love the look of big block letters as wall decor! I have Nicholas's full name spelled out on the wall in his bedroom. For Christmas, a made a gift to my mom of the word "F-A-M-I-L-L-E" {that is FAMILY in French in case you didn't know} in big black block letters so that she could place it over a picture gallery of black frames in her living room. {I loved it so much that I am making a similar gallery with this word in my basement! Look for that post soon...}.

As part of my wall gallery in the upstairs bathroom, I wanted to make a colored letter {in this case, it was a single letter "B" which, for this hosehold, can represent "BATH" or "BAIN" in French, or even our last name "BEADOW"}. However, I also wanted to have a bit more interest than just a plain letter. With the help of some scrapbooking paper {with which the possibilities for crafts are really endless} I made my custom letter.

First, I traced and cut-out the letter out of my first chosen paper, a beautifyl indigo blue:
And glued it to my white block letter using one of my best craft friends, Mod Podge. I then glued the whole page of swirly white paper, precisely placed based on which pattern I wanted to show off, over the blue paper. I applied a coat of Mod Podge to the entire surface. Once it was dry, I placed it face down on my craft cutting board {which is basically an old melamine shelf leftover from the kitchen when we installed our dishwasher; whatever works, right?} and, using an sharp cardboard knife, I trimmed around the letter.



















I then added a final coat of Mod Podge to ensure that everything was sealed and would stay in place since it was going in the washroom and I didn't want it to become ruined due to moisture. The result was this beautiful, swirly and unique block letter:
To see the full wall gallery, check out this post!

1 comment:

  1. FANTASTIC B!!!!!! That sounds like so much fun!!! What is Mod Podge and where does one get some? Also you said you put some after, like on the surface? It's not sticky?

    ReplyDelete