May 18, 2011

A bit of news

You may have caught on to this when reading the final sentence of this recent post. For the past few weeks, we have been waiting in anticipation for a 100% confirmation before I could announce it to the "grand public" as I like to call it. We received that confirmation this week...

I... AM... PREGNANT!


That's right, Baby Beadow Number 2 is on the way! We have known for several weeks and had previously had an ultrasound which resulted in mostly disappointment as we were unable to see the baby. After a few scares, we held our breath until we finally confirmed May 16th that there is definitely a Bean in there! We are thrilled! Of course, this means that we have to start preparing Nico to move into his big boy room to liberate the nursery for his little brother or sister. As with the first pregnancy, we will be finding out the gender as I really want to decorate the nursery before the baby comes.

My due date is December 29th... So we will be spending our Christmas here in Aylmer as opposed to travelling back to our hometown as we normally do. With my first pregnancy, I was about two weeks early so I am hoping for a similar scenario and will be ready at least one month in advance this time.

For those of you who are new to the "Life of Mylène", I'll share my first pregnancy's labor and delivery story.

I was due August 1, 2008. I stopped working on July 11. Originally, I had planned to work until July 18 but because my replacement was ready and willing, I was able to finish a week earlier than planned. I spent my first week of settling into the home that we had moved in only a few weeks prior, and napping... of course! On Saturday, July 19, I went to the theatre with Jon and my brother-in-law Jason to watch the batman movie "Dark Knight". Afterwards, we had pizza at my brother-in-law's. When we got home later that night, it was so hot in the house that we decided to blow-up an air mattress and sleep in the much-cooler basement guest room. We took out the pump and took turns pumping the mattress. The entire time, I was experiencing major Braxton Hicks contractions but thought nothing of it as I had been having them for a few weeks.

We went to bed around 12:30 am. Around 2:00 am, I woke with a need to pee. Being that I was between Jon and the wall, and had our then-dog Jersey at my feet, I had to literally crawl my way over her and out of bed. As I was doing so, I seemed to be wetting my pants, much to my embarrassment... Then I realised my water had broken, but slowly, and I started feeling regular contractions. Around 4:00 am (I think) I woke Jon and mentioned that we should be getting ready to go to the hospital. This is when we should have rushed and hurried, but we didn't.

You see, I was not expecting to be this early, so I had not packed, had not installed the car seat, had not finished preparing the baby's room, etc. Amidst the extremely painful contractions, I showered and packed quickly. By 6:30 am (I think, again, it is a blur) we were at the hospital. By the time we arrived, they placed me in my room and left me there to wait, without checking to see how dilated I was. After only one contraction where I could feel my body pushing unwillingly, I buzzed the nurse and asked them to check me. I had two nurses: one in-training and one more experienced nurse. The "newer" nurse checked me first and said I was 1 to 2 centimetres. The "older" nurse verified her young colleague's assessment and said "Oh no. Dear, you are 8 to 9 centimetres". This meant that I was too late for an epidural... And this is when I started panicking.

I was lucky to have two nurses and a doctor as Jon {I love him, but he and I will argue forever about this detail} could not be right by my side. I had hoped he could overcome his faint stomach and at least sit by my upper body, and hold and comfort me. I never EVER wanted him to look "down there", and most definitely did not expect him to touch anything. But, he was on the other side of a curtain which to me means I was alone. I couldn't see him {although he could see me at the top of the curtain} and I could not FEEL him which is what I most needed. But, he was given a job to fetch ice for me and to call our family.

I started pushing by 8:00 am and by 9:55 am, Nicholas Eric Beadow was born at 7 lbs 10 oz and measuring 21". He was beautiful and I... was ready for a break down. Minutes later, my sister Sophie finally made it into the room, just in time for me to start crying and panicking.

I had barely slept and had gone through, what I felt was, a traumatic labor and delivery. It was like it all happened so fast that I had never realised what was really happening. For the next few hours, Jon went home to get stuff that we had forgotten, and to let my brother in so he could house and dog-sit. I was in my recovery room and experiencing severe anxiety attacks. I was shaking, I felt like I couldn't catch my breath, and all I wanted to do was cry. Eventhough everything was said and done, it is like my mind was only now catching up to the reality of it all. I remember the nurse coming in and telling me a bunch a important stuff, and all I kept thinking was "I won't remember any of this because I am freaking out! Can't you see that I am freaking out?" Thank goodness Sophie was there to keep me company and help with Nico while Jon was gone, because she also helped calm me and allowed me to sleep a little while.

Now, I know that I experienced exactly the labor and delivery that was meant for me. I can't explain why, but in my mind, I may not have been able to handle a long labor, or maybe I would have had a reaction to the epidural... who knows. All I know is what happened was meant to happen. {Sure, I tell myself that now, but it took me about 10 months post-partum to accept that.} My sister Adèle {who has delivered three gorgeous kids of her own} says it is my war story. What I mostly know is it will prepare me for the next one.

I also can now accept that if I have to do it naturally again, I will be fine because I have done it before. But of course, certain lessons were learned:

1) be ready at least one month in advance
2) don't waste time at home; head to the hospital ASAP! {I may be camping in the parking lot of the hospital!}
3) have SEVERAL back-up plans for labor coaches and family to be with me during labor and delivery {since I only really had one plan for Nico, which was my Mom, and she could not make it} cause I am not doing it alone again!
4) whatever happens, happens for a reason!

For now, I am experiencing way too much nausea. With my first pregnancy, I threw-up a lot but don't remember really feeling nauseous. Not the case with this preggers... I feel nauseous 95% of the time! And I am taking 2 Diclectin at night, and 2 in the morning {Diclectin is a medication that will not harm the foetus but is miraculous for expectant mothers FIY}. I can actually take another 2 in the afternoon and I think I may have to start doing that... yucky!

Anyhow, that's my news! So now you know! I'll keep you posted! Oh, and of course, look for HIS and HERS Nursery Inspiration Boards soon...

0 comments:

Post a Comment