July 13, 2011

Master Bedroom reveal: Part 1

It took three + days of painting, two and a half gallons of paint, 2 coats on all walls, one stencil application and abandonment, 4 coats on the closet doors and trim, and several touch ups...  By the way, did I tell you how bright those closet doors were? ELECTRIC BLUE, which is what my sister Sophie named them! {Doesn't that make you think of Debbie Gibson's Electric Youth song? LOL!}

And you thought I was exaggerating! The funniest thing is the rest of the room was just primed... While painting, we spotted remnants of neon green on the walls, and this same electric blue on all the trim... The previous owners had painted this entire room in neon green and electric blue! I am glad they opted to prime it before selling the house...

Moving on... this is our {new} current Master Bedroom.

The Befores and Afters

BEFORE
{These pics were taken months ago when the guest room underwent a serious clean up as it had turned into a gathering space for all things without a home. Basically it was a junk ROOM.}




AFTER
{keep in mind, this room is only 50% done...}



{Please note, I did not add that squiggly mirror. It was glued there by the previous owners, and Jon and I were afraid to break it if we tried to remove it... so it is staying for now...}

{This is my jewellery armoire [more on that later...]. The sewing case on top I already owned! It just happened to work in the space so it is staying out}.



Details, details, details...

I chose to go with Benjamin Moore's Natura paint. It is no VOC even after tinting, so it made it safe for me to paint while pregnant and is family friendly too. It was super thick and had awesome coverage! I was expecting to have to use a dark tinted primer and at least 3 coats of the dark purple, and I only ended up using 2 coats of paint and zero primer! The ONLY downfall of this awesome paint product? It costs 64 bucks a gallon! Eek! {Keep in mind, the last time I purchased paint for a room, I selected recycled paint at $9.97 a gallon}. But, it saved me from having to buy a gallon of tinted primer, so in the end, I feel I came up even. Plus we were able to paint the other 3 walls with less than a gallon of the gray due to its awesome coverage!

Now, this will more than likely sound weird to most of you, but I don't choose a paint color unless I like the name... At one point, I even desired the job of the person who comes up with paint color names... anyhow... The colors I chose are called Passion Plum {obviously, this is the purple} and Stormy Monday {which happens to be one of my favorite Eva Cassidy songs}. 

For the stencil, I mixed half and half of the Passion Plum and Stormy Monday {which I guess gives me Stormy Plum or Passion Monday... !} to achieve my desired lighter purple.

Here's where it started going downhill. I was too cheap to order a stencil online from a certain Etsy shop as the shipping alone was $20, so the total cost for the stencil would have been almost $60, and I knew I could make my own for way less... I purchased a blank stencil sheet {measuring about 10" x 40"} which was only about $4... way better! I found a pattern online that I liked and enlarged it using a photocopier. I traced it on my blank stencil then cut it out with an Exacto knife. Ta-da!

I started applying my stencil working from the bottom up so that I could always tape my stencil at the top and on one side. The first few were okay but my paint was already bleeding underneath the plastic {did not use re-positionable adhesive like I knew I should have... my bad}. I was also only relying on my eye to keep the pattern straight. I completed 2 and a half rows before realising deciding admitting that it just was not going to work over an entire wall. I called Jon in, who immediately said "Oh, you are going really crooked". Although we both really liked the pattern, the overall look would have been far from perfect, would have taken at least 3-4 hours to apply, and would have required at least 1-2 hours of touch ups, if not more. So, I let it dry, and felt pretty bummed seeing as my entire room inspiration was based on having a stenciled focal wall, and I planned to keep the rest of the room pretty simple.

Here are some pictures I took to show you this epic fail:




It took two coats to cover the stencil, which brought my wall back to this:


I again started searching on Etsy for a less expensive but more professional option. I found a shop called Lights Forever, and really liked this stencil:

And bonus: the total cost with shipping was less than $14.00! That works for me! Once I receive it, I will determine whether I am painting it all over or in random spots.
The rest of the process went well!

For now, we have simply moved our current furniture into the space. I purchased new hardware for the closet doors from IKEA, which were priced at 2 for $9.99:


I will more than likely purchase more of these down the road to add to the first two drawers of our chests of drawers, just to achieve a cohesive look.

For the curtains, I opted to go for these 100% cotton, dark gray RITVA curtains from IKEA, which were $39.99 for the pair. I hemmed them using the tape provided with the curtains and a hot iron! Sweet and easy! And the look is dark and dramatic! I purposely hung them way close to the ceiling and all the way to the ground to create the look of a full window {see the picture above for the actual window size}.

I used a black curtain rod which I already had on hand, and purchased a pair of black finials, on clearance at Bed, Beth & Beyond for $6.99 a pair. Because I wanted to add a bit of glamour to my curtain wall, I purchased self-adhesive crystals from the scrap booking collection by Martha Stewart at Wal-Mart, and added a row of crystals to each finial.

BEFORE

AFTER


Remember those lamps I told you about in this post?

BEFORE

They got a treatment of sprayed-on sunshine! Actually, they received a first coat of Krylon's Bauhaus Gold. At first, it looked okay... but I thought it was "too orange" and reminded me of the color of the painted lines on roads or Kraft Dinner.

LAMPS ATTEMPT 1

So, I purchased a second can of spray paint, this time Rust-Oleum Painters' Touch in Sun Yellow. The only reason I switched brands was because they didn't have Krylon at the Home Depot where I was. I actually like both brands equally.

I also covered the previously beige lamp shades in left-over white fabric that I had on hand, using my trusty glue gun.

LAMPS ATTEMPT 2

Much better and more complimentary to the purple and gray!

I was browsing Kijiji one day for no particular reason and came across this seller who was offering a lot of stuff and for cheap. He was offering a pair of small 3-drawer units at $25 for both. I thought they would be prefect as bed side tables with a bit of storage for things that have a tendency to clutter these often-used areas.
 


I had this old apple green two-drawer organizer from IKEA which was not being used. I decided to spray it in the same Sun Yellow to coordinate with the lamps:

BEFORE

AFTER

The final touch I added this weekend was a gray and yellow patterned pillow, that I just happened to find at Wal-Mart while cruising down the aisles. It was regularly priced at $20, marked down to $12.69! SOLD!

Now THAT is a lot to accomplish in just over a week... !!!

Here is this room's makeover TO-DO list and what remains to be done:
-paint walls (focal wall purple, the rest gray)
-stencil focal wall in lighter purple
-paint all trim and closet doors glossy white
-purchase purple quilt set (IKEA)
-add full length curtains
-create artwork to hang over each bed side table using canvases from previous artwork
-create diamond tufted or nail trimmed headboard in gray faux silk
-accessorize with clear, white and yellow accents {probably buy inexpensive items and spray paint in desired color}
-add decorative pillows
-update mirror from previous master using molding and paint glossy white
-spray paint lamp bases in yellow and recover or paint existing shades in white
-create reading nook with chair and lamp
-purchase white duvet cover set {Bouclair Home}
-new ceiling light fixture or ceiling fan {not sure which option yet}
-dye bed skirt darker gray {currently a greige [gray-beige]}
-hang hooks behind door

Of course, I will share pictures as I add these additional touches. For now, I am pleased with the results! Onto Nico's big boy room...



























0 comments:

Post a Comment