July 15, 2011

Nico's Big Boy Room reveal: Part 1

I know, we have been super busy! This last weekend, we tackled Nico's Big Boy Room as our plan all along was to prepare his new room while he was away so we can surprise him with it upon his return from holidays {I miss him terribly! Can't want to go find him in a few days...}

Our first step was to prep the walls. As I had created a faux headboard directly onto the wall using trim and paint {see picture below}, I knew this wall would be damaged and require a lot of patching and sanding.

Because I chose to paint the upper and lower walls two different colors for Nico's room, we decided to start with the upper walls so that we could paint the upper, then paint the baseboards and closet doors white {which were beige} while we waited for the upper walls to dry. This would also allow the patches on the most damaged area of the wall {the old headboard spot} to dry properly before painting. It took us about 1-2 hours just to prep the room. Then, we applied two coats of my gray color called Silver Quill by CIL to the upper walls, and two coats of our on-hand white glossy paint to the baseboards and closet doors. For Nico's room, I was still in sticker-shock from the cost of my Benjamin Moore paint for the master bedroom, so opted to go for CIL's no VOC Naturaliving paint in semi-gloss. After our second coat, we removed all the painters tape. That was day 1...

TIP: FrogTape painter's tape is awesome! It did not bleed in a single area!

On day 2, we taped the room in preparation to paint the lower walls in my selected dark moody blue called West Pointe Blue by CIL. As this paint was very dark, I could not use CIL's Naturaliving as they only make it in a white base {I needed a darker base} and it would no longer be considered "no VOC" due to the amount of tint that would be required to achieve the proper color. The helpful gentleman at Home Depot suggested CIL's Dulux latex in semi-gloss, which is recommended for kids rooms due to it's durability and easy clean up. It was low VOC and the smell was not super strong. It covered the walls in two coats, but this time, the FrogTape did not do as good a job. I think we may have not pressed it down as well as the first time. So, many touch-ups are required, on both the walls and the baseboards where the paint bled.

We decide to let the walls cure for a full day before applying more tape as we still needed to paint the trim around the doors and window. But a few days turned into too many days... and now I have run out of time as I am leaving tomorrow for my vacation!

Yesterday, which would be considered day 6 since this project started, we dressed Nico's new queen size bed and brought in his second-hand dresser which I purchased for $30 from the same Kijiji seller who was selling the bedside tables for the master bedroom. The handles need an upgrade so it is on my TO-LIST for this room.

For Nico's bedding, I purchased a 100% cotton knit bedspread in white from Bed, Bath & Beyond for $19 {it is plain but I had to keep in mind that my Mom is making a quilt for him using his new room color scheme}. I also bought a set of apple green sheets from Wal-Mart for $30 to add some color, and a body pillow cover for $8 that had a white and green striped pattern for a body pillow we currently owned which had no permanent home.

A few weeks ago, I had purchased this twin duvet cover set with the intention of making a window treatment with the cover, and using the pillow on the bed to set the color scheme for the entire space:

I decided to sew a faux-roman blind using the cover. It was easy enough as I could follow the straight lines in the pattern. I then decided to hang it using a "U" shaped curtain rod, as I wanted the curtain to stand out as opposed to the rod.

My Dad built this bookshelf {inspired by Pottery Barn} which still needs a coat of our glossy white trim paint, but has been temporary installed at the foot of the bed for the reveal to Nico, along with a little chair to create a sort of reading area:

We also brought in some of Nico's toys from the basement. Seeing as this is a such a large room for a child with very little furniture, we had decided a while ago that this would also serve as the playroom. We will bring in his toy chest and play mat once all the painting is done. The larger toys will be placed on the floor in the closet.

And now, the full monty:

The Befores and Afters

BEFORE

AFTER: Part 1 {about 50% complete}






Here is a reminder of my inspiration board for the space:


I am happy with the room makeover so far, other than the FrogTape not being as awesome with the second color, and all the touch-ups and tasks that remain to be completed in order for this room to be 100% done. The scheme of the room is young but not "baby" young. I really feel that Nico will be able to grow with this room!

We still have a lot to do in this room!

Still on the WISH LIST {and what has been done so far}:
-paint room two tones
-make faux roman out of duvet cover
-purchase bedding
-paint existing mirror apple green
-add apple green lamp
-touch-up paint bleeds
-paint trim around window and doors
-paint 2 blue stripes on gray portion to create a transition between the colors OR add white trim
-add/create art work
-purchase world map for wall
-paint bookshelf
-purchase area rug for beside bed
-move in toys and play mat
-update hardware on dresser
-paint name letters in West Point Blue and hang on wall
-replace brown metal blinds with black out blind to control heat and light
-paint shelves {made by my Dad and not currently being used anywhere} and hang on either side of window until we can... {next bullet}
-flank window with bookcase on either side
-build window bench
-purchase closet organizers
-make beadboard headboard

Can't wait to see his reaction when he comes back home wiht us in a few weeks! For now, I am exhausted... but happy!


2 comments:

  1. Hi there! i just love allof your concepts, decorations ! It's amazing :) I am from Montreal Quebec and meaning to find the perfect duvet cover for my boy who turns 2 today and the one you posted of your child's room is exactly what i'm looking for but i haven't been able to find it anywhere?! I looked on bed bath and beyond web site but canot find it...was there a specefic name to it, it could definitely help me in my quest to find this perfect bedspread! Thank you so much!
    Héloïse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there i'm from montreal Quebec and i loooove what you did with your son's room! I would love to buy on Line the same bed cover but i can't find it? Does it go by a certain name so it could help me research it on the web? I did not find it on the web site of bed bath and beyond... I really want the same :) thank you very much!
    Héloïse

    ReplyDelete