August 5, 2011

Have I mentioned I HEART damask?

My vacation was awesome! Two weeks of gorgeous weather and a lot of time spent with my family and friends!

When I returned from my Blog Land hiatus, the stencil I had ordered from an Etsy shop to finish our new master bedroom dark plum focal wall was awaiting. Just a reminder of the pattern I selected, which is a much-adored-by-me, fail-safe damask pattern:

The entire stencil measures 10" x 12". The actual cut-out is centered in the middle and has about 1" to 1 1/2" clearance all around, so it was a tad smaller than I was hoping, but it worked great none the less.

I was still undecided as to how I would apply my stencil: I was thinking either I painted it all-over or in random spots. Once I received it, I ruled out all-over as it would be too busy due to the actual size of the pattern. So I was left with applying it in random spots. My concern with random placement is that I am a very symmetrical girl! I was afraid that placing it randomly here and there would leave me feeling forever unsatisfied with thoughts of "I should have moved that one to the left" and "there's a big empty spot" and "why did I place that one so far away" {yes, I can be obsessive that way...}. Then, it occurred to me that I could have the best of both worlds by placing it all over the wall, but in spaced-out and measured spots so as to appear somewhat random. Sweet!

I opted to use my trusty auto leveling laser level from Black & Decker {I LOVE this thing}:
I started by finding the center point of my wall. From there, I divided the height to have 6 rows (one centered, three above the center row, and two below the center row) which left about 13" between each row. Then, by placing my level on the middle spot of each row, I marked every spot with a pencil and with a piece of painter's tape. I decided to place each pattern 24" apart {center point to center point}.

I also chose to stagger each row in a somewhat "brick" pattern to achieve this look:
*    *      *      *      *       *     *
   *      *      *      *      *      *  
*    *      *      *      *      *      *
   *      *      *      *      *      *  

You get the picture right!

I marked each spot with a pencil and then a piece of painters tape. Once all of my spots were marked, I stepped back to make sure I liked the overall effect, {which I did! This is when I started to get really excited}!
And here is a pic I took with the stencil in one spot to show you the sizing:


Then, I started applying my stencil! I opted to use a foam roller which I already had on-hand. I also used repositionable spray adhesive, which I reapplied whenever I felt it wasn't sticking enough. 

With stencils, I have learned that less paint is better! So, once the paint was on the roll, I rolled most of it off on a piece of cardboard. Before rolling the paint onto the wall, I used a small level to ensure each pattern was straight. I then rolled over the entire stencil once semi-firmly to press it down. Then rolled over it continuously up and down {still only semi-firmly} to achieve just the right coverage.

I only reapplied paint every 6-8 patterns! Between every 2-3 patterns, I would roll my roller on the cardboard to pick-up any excess from there. For the entire wall, I don't even think I used 1/4 cup of paint, if not less! You really don't need a lot! {I have to admit the first 4-5 patterns, I was still using too much paint... it is best to test on another surface until you are comfortable!}

Here are a few process pictures:


Finally, here is the finished wall:



The Befores and Afters

BEFORE
Here is the room semi-completed before the stencil application:



AFTER
{well, my furniture was not back in place yet...}




I have a few more things I want to accomplish in this room over the weekend and will give you a better reveal next week!

The entire preparation and application took about 2 hours {45 minutes prep, 1 hour 15 minutes painting... give or take!}

The only spot where I struggled was for three patterns, spaced about 2' from the far wall. There is a little ledge/lip/lift about 3/4" deep where the wall is raised {very strange, not sure why it was constructed that way}. Well this lift, as I will call it, created some "EEK!" moments for me. Of course, I kept this area for last {which is a good thing because I probably would have quit if I had started with these three patterns!}. My three attempts were, well, not great. Here are two pics to give you an idea:



From far away, you can't tell. But from up close, it is way too obvious to leave be! For the second one, I decided to place a piece of painters tape over the actual "lift" and "edge" for the larger portion application. Then, I removed the tape to complete the second portion, but still had a lot of bleeding.

Once it dried last night, I did paint over the worst spots and will fix it over the weekend.

I also have this area, which technically should have half of a pattern:


I find that you can't really tell, but my obsessive side is desperate to cut or fold my stencil in half and add it right there! So, I will probably give in and do it!

So, again, more pics will follow. I can't wait to create a gray headboard for the bed so I think that will be my next project. And you may have to stop me from stenciling every room in the house since I really enjoyed this project!

I am also finding that the bedside tables are just a touch too low {they fall a few inches below the top of the mattress, whereas I think they would look more proportionate if they were a few inches ABOVE the top of the mattress} so am thinking of adding chunky legs, like in this picture:

In the meantime, here is an update on this room's TO-DO list and what remains to be done:
-paint walls (focal wall purple, the rest gray)
-stencil focal wall in lighter purple
-paint all trim and closet doors glossy white
-purchase purple quilt set (IKEA)
-add full length curtains
-create artwork to hang over each bed side table using canvases from previous artwork {this is not completed, but I have scratched it as I wouldn't want to take away from my stencil!}
-create diamond tufted or nail head trimmed headboard in gray faux silk
-accessorize with clear, white and plum accents {probably buy inexpensive items and spray paint in desired color}
-add decorative pillows
-update mirror from previous master using molding and paint glossy white; hang over bed
-spray paint lamp bases in yellow and recover or paint existing shades in white
-purchase white duvet cover set {Bouclair Home}
-new ceiling light fixture or ceiling fan {not sure which option yet}
-dye bed skirt darker gray {currently a greige [gray-beige]}
-hang hooks behind door
-create reading nook with chair and lamp

I will soon {well hopefully, if Baby Beadow #2 cooperates!} be able to reveal which route our nursery will take...



This post is linked to:
The Shabby Nest



Transformation Thursday

0 comments:

Post a Comment