August 19, 2011

Master Bedroom FINAL reveal {well, for now...}

I've recently tackled a few small projects to accessorize, decorate and complete {somewhat} our newly repainted master bedroom.

First, I touched up my previously messed-up patterns using painters tape on the edge {easy-peasy!}. They went from this:

To this:

And finally, to this:
{Gotta love crisp and clean edges!}

I also hung the metal artwork, that used to hang over our bed, on one of the gray walls. I opted not to hang it over the bed as it didn't work with the stencil, and kind of stole the stencil's thunder! Total cost: 0$ {already owned artwork}.

Second, I created a lamp shade to hide the plain-Jane ceiling fixture:

I purchased a simple drum shade at Wal-Mart and added two rows of different sized ribbon in my plum color using my glue gun.




I cut the three-prong metal hanger as it didn't work with the existing fixture. I cut each prong to leave a length of metal approximately 1" long and hung the shade using tea cup hooks. Result? Simple and as temporary as I want it to be! Total cost: less than 20$!


Then, I hung a mirror over the bed. I purposely hung it lower for the time being until I create my headboard, at which point it may move up a few inches. I also actually determined my placement based on the stencil, as I wanted it to hang in a perfectly balanced spot {not covering one pattern more than another, etc.}. I may end up beefing up the frame using crown moulding, but for now, the size and color work. Total cost: 0$ {already owned mirror}.


I also hung some dark metal hooks on the wall behind the bedroom door: 2 hidden hooks to hang towels, and 2 in-view hooks to hang prettier things. Total cost: $14 {each pair of hooks was $5.99).


Using items from Wal-mart, I created a little decorative vase to add some sparkle. Total cost: about $23 {for vase, Styrofoam balls and sparkles [clearance from Martha-Stewart collection]}.

And finally, following a less-than-10$-trip to Bouclair Home, I purchased a few other accessories on clearance in my color scheme. Total cost: less than $10.

{Those two small light-mauve candle holders were marked down to $.39 each!}

The Befores and Afters

BEFORE
Here is a reminder of where this room started:




Just for the heck of it, here is my inspiration board for this space, so we can see how close my new room is to its inspiration:

AFTER








Again, here is where I am at with this room's TO-DO list:
-paint walls (focal wall purple, the rest gray)
-stencil focal wall in lighter purple
-paint all trim and closet doors glossy white
-purchase purple quilt set (IKEA)
-add full length curtains
-create artwork to hang over each bed side table using canvases from previous artwork {this is not completed, but I have scratched it as I wouldn't want to take away from my stencil!}
-create / find artwork to hang over dressers {NEW!}
-create diamond tufted or nail head trimmed headboard in gray faux silk
-accessorize with clear, white and plum accents {probably buy inexpensive items and spray paint in desired color}
-add decorative pillows
-update mirror from previous master using molding and paint glossy white; hang over bed
-spray paint lamp bases in yellow and recover or paint existing shades in white
-add area rugs on either side of bed
-purchase white duvet cover set {Bouclair Home}
-new ceiling light fixture or ceiling fan {not sure which option yet}
-dye bed skirt darker gray {currently a greige [gray-beige]}
-hang hooks behind door
-create reading nook with chair and lamp

For the time being, I'm moving along to other projects as I am happy with this room!


This post is linked to:





The Shabby Nest


2 comments:

  1. Love the plums! They are getting me into the mood for fall. The wall behind your bed is a great focal wall! Come check me out at-
    www.alivedinhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you tell me where you bought the twin bed set for your son (Green, blue) i can't find it on line? Thank you and you're awesome at decorating!
    Hm - montreal

    ReplyDelete