August 10, 2011

Nursery theme confirmed!

Last week, we had an ultrasound and confirmed we are having a BOY!


We were thrilled, as was his Big-brother-to-be!

I was also excited because now I get to move onto planning the little man's nursery! Woo-hoo!

I had previously shared this inspiration board for an owl themed nursery:

However, now that we have recently completed two very moody rooms for the #1 son and ourselves, I am craving a bit more color and brightness for the little one's room. And since apple green is one of my absolute fave colors, why not start with that! Well, not so fast... you see, the carpet in the nursery is a grayish-blue and it is staying...


As much as I don't want to match this blue, I don't want to create a room that will completely clash with it either.

Here are some bedding options that I like and that could potentially work with the existing carpet, along with the colors I would pull from the bedding.

This alphabet bedding had been featured in my inspiration board as I liked the gray and blue walls and the trim detailing. Now, I am selecting it for the actual bedding itself. Of my choices, this is the only bedding that does not actually contain the carpet color {at least not from what I can see on the images}, but I think it could work. It would allow me to pull the apple green for the walls, and use orange as a second accent color, making a lively and bright nursery.

This polka-dot bedding is more muted to me and has no apple green per say, however, there is a green tone in there that could potentially be pulled. Along with red accents,  it could come together nicely with the brown furniture, and the carpet's blue is close to one of the tones in this image.

Although I am not one for certain themes in nurseries {i.e. Noah's arc or very cartoony characters as they are too easy to grow out of or get sick off} I like this animal theme bedding and have seen it used in several nurseries. This bedding's palette is very bi-tonal, sticking to mostly greens and blues, but it would look great with apple green walls and would look less bi-tonal with the brown nursery furniture.

The sort of downside to selecting this option is that the color scheme resembles that of Nico's big boy room:

Don't ask me why but I kind of want to avoid giving both rooms the same colors {maybe because my husband once said that our entire house was all blues...}. However, since the main color in this nursery would be apple green, whereas the main color in Nico's room is a moody blue, it could make them significantly different.

Plus, with this animal theme, I could totally include animal accessories, like this lion nightlight by Jonathan Adler:

And this cardboard elephant "trophy" by Cardboard Safari:

And this giraffe growth chart from this etsy shop:

Even these bird bookends from this etsy shop:


With an animal theme, you can go as crazy or as simple as you want! And the possibilities are endless!

So, I guess we know which bedding is my numero uno, right?

With any bedding, I really like this idea of a cluster of paper lanterns as a mobile, or even hanging 3 or 4 of them in different colors at various heights over the crib:

{Is it just me or does that star look like it could kill someone with a point hanging down like that!?}

And look at all the colors offered by The Paper Lantern Store in my color scheme:

Would be pretty unique, custom and inexpensive!

I am not planning on tackling this room for another month or so, as we have A LOT of purging to do house-wide to make room for this little guy! But at least now you know which direction I am heading in...



0 comments:

Post a Comment