May 26, 2012

How's this for progress...

It has already been 6 weeks since we first got the keys to our new home. Time sure does fly! As for progress? Well... it's coming along. Jon's original completion date was aimed at May 19. However, we have at least another two to three weeks, so I am selecting June 8 as our completion date and we would be moving in thereafter. That would fall within my original guestimate of 4 to 8 weeks.

Here is an update on a previous TO-DO list regarding what we want to do before we move-in {what is completed is stricken through; new information is in RED}:
  • Converting from electric heat to natural gas heat; about 80% complete as there is still some work, for example the actual natural gas connection needs to be made by the provider.
  • Recovering all the floors on the main floor, including: vinyl and limestone tiles in the side entrance, half bath and kitchen; laminate flooring in the living room, dining room and hallway; ceramic tile in the front entrance and carpet in the bedroom; we ran out of laminate so had to order 3 more boxes; and we are installing the vinyl and limestone tiles last as that is our "working area";
  • Reconfiguring the L-shape of the cabinets in the kitchen; counter has been chopped, we still need to reconfigure;
  • Painting lower cabinets in dark charcoal and upper cabinets in bright white; 90% primed, all need to be painted;
  • Replacing all hardware in kitchen.
  • Replacing counter tops in kitchen.
  • Replacing kitchen sink and faucet.
  • Installing new back splash throughout kitchen and accent back splash behind stove; only ordered accent back splash to start, received it but not installed yet;
  • Installing chimney style hood fan over stove.
  • Replacing light fixtures in kitchen and front entrance; I decided to revamp the entrance fixture... more on that in another post.
  • Repositioning and replacing light fixture in dining room.
  • Replacing all windows on main floor except the dining window as we will eventually be replacing that window with french patio doors.
  • Painting all walls and ceilings on main floor; about 80% complete.
  • Installing new window and door casings; about 60% complete.
  • Installing new 5" 6.5" high baseboards throughout main floor.
  • Replacing some doors and painting remaining doors.
  • Replacing all electrical boxes for light switches and plugs; about 15% complete as there was a power outage the other day so we took advantage and changed some boxes.
Here is what the house looks like right now:

Living room:



Kitchen and dining room:

Powder room:

Dining room and kitchen:

Dining room and front entrance:

Entrance and living room:


Hallway:

Nico's room:

Master bedroom:
The master bedroom color is the only one that I am still not convinced I will keep. Since I picked every single color and product without even being in the house, I was expecting at least one color to be off, and I think this is the one. I am also using this color as an accent in the dining room, but I think it will look great in that area. But I may end-up repainting the master bedroom. I have to decide ASAP before my baseboards go up some time this week.

Luca's room:

Main bathroom:
 

Hallway without the drop cloth but with a bunch of dust! Oops!

Front entrance:
 

LOVE the tile I chose! It is 12" by 24" glazed porcelain, with a lot of variation from tile to tile! Beautiful!


As you can see, there is still a lot of construction! But this is MAJOR progress! Luckily for us, we did not have any other surprises which was great and a huge stress relief. Demolition is complete and now we are just refinishing, rebuilding, re- everything- ing!

One update that I want to talk about as it has made a HUGE difference {and was the biggest cost for our renovation} is the windows. For the windows at the front of the house, we chose a triple-pane style with a design between the panes. For the back of the house, we were supposed to get the design too but the provider forgot that detail when he placed the order, which ended up being fine as it saved us money and really, no one will see the back of our house as it backs onto a wooded area. So, it ended up being an economical mistake for the better.

Here is a reminder of what the front of the house looked like before:



Not bad... but here it is with the new windows:




Here a few other pics just for kicks!

A fox lying in the sun in our back yard {apparently they are quite tame in our area}:

Some writing that was hidden behind a piece of casing inside Luca's closet. It reads "Adelard Breton Loves Emilienne Dussault." So sweet! Kind of wonder if they ended up together...



As I always say, stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Mylene,
    Would you believe me if I tell you that the fellow, Adelard Breton, was our next door neighbour when we lives on Devonshire St. He is one of the nicest person, always willing to help out and land a hand. He is married but not to the girl written on the board. I just thought i'd share the info with you :). Love your blog xoxo
    Lyse

    ReplyDelete