February 9, 2013

Bedroom Blues

Since we bought and renovated our home last spring and summer, our master bedroom went from this:
 
 
To this:
 
 {Was too bright so I painted over it!}
 
Then to this:
 
 
And finally, here it is presently:
 
 
 
 
Now, these current shots were taken in the evening, but honestly, it is not much brighter in the day time... which is why I'm singing the bedroom blues!
 
From the get go, I was unsure of where to go with this room. It was most likely because the accessories I had for our master bedroom in our first home were brand new. As you may recall from this post in August 2011, I had finally finished decorating our basement master bedroom, and LOVED it... then days later, we decided we were moving away... So, these items were barely in the spotlight until they were stored away:
 
 
 
 
 
I decided to stick with the purple accessories, but I had my eye on a lovely shade of teal. I had come up with a three-toned scheme of gray, plum and teal:
 
 
 
 
 
Now to get to the point: I find the room boring, dark, cold and basically, it just ain't doing it for me! For months and months I have searched for fabrics to tie these three colors together. I have browsed the web for an inspiration photo of a space that would give me an answer... In short, I was left with no other choice but to...
 
DESIGN MORE INSPIRATION BOARDS!!!! Yahoo!
 
I let my imagination run wild and came up with FOUR different moods! Keep in mind, the furniture stays, the chandelier stays {i HEART the chandelier!}, and the white bedding stays. I am 99% sure the gray curtains and pillows are going because they are just dragging the room down... Also, I threw these together very quickly so did not really keep track of where which item came from; however, I did stick mostly to Z Galleries, West Elm, Shades of Light, Joss & Main. Tonic Living and Bouclair Maison. So here we go!
 
#1 - Colorfully Classic  
This room was inspired by the artwork of an Ontarian artist called Siiso, which I found through Houzz.com, but she actually sells it through Etsy.com. I found her artwork so refreshing, inviting and liberating! She sells prints of her work and they are very reasonably priced. I think this would be one of the easiest Inspiration Boards to adopt as it is basically different colored accents taken directly from the paintings. It is fun, fresh and easy! I would add some sparkly accessories like beautifully cut mirrors and crystal candleholders to add some glam and keep the whole look feeling classy.
 
 
#2 - Pretty in Peacock
A few months ago, I came across the image of a peacock with its feathers fanned and stunning coloring, and I was mesmerized. Since then, I have looked for peacock inspired artwork or fabric to possibly add the jewelled tones to our boring boudoir. Now, I had the chance to make the Inspiration Board for my peacock crush. It would have concentrated jewel tones of turquoise, emerald and apple green. Again, I would add accents of sparkle and white to keep the room happy and bright.
 
 
#3 - Calm & Cozy
At first when considering this palette, I thought "Won't be more interesting than what I have now." But au contraire: adding a warmer beige will instantly add warmth to the space. Another way of adding warmth for this Inspiration Board is with textures: notice the natural basket, the more raw fabric of the ottoman set, the large knit throw, and the warmer tones of the framed mirrors. All of the items help to add interest and warmth to the scheme. Of course, adding again some sparkle with the table lamps and sequined toss cushion is a must!
 
 
#4 - Lively but Lovely
This scheme came from a duvet cover I came across a while ago. It is through Bed, Bath & Beyond, and I just loved the unexpected combination of colors! I have been going back to their site to peak on it every once in a while. I never would have thought to mix teal blue with cherry red and buttery yellow, but I love it! I also find the duvet provides a more exotic feel if you will. Add to it a few accessories in each color, and toss in some sparkle from the mirrors and chandelier, and you have a lively yet lovely space.
 
I do have some projects in mind for whichever inspiration board I select:
  • a bright white, curved, nail head trimmed headboard, similar to the one in this photo from Pinterest.com:
 
  • updating the two night stands {they were a second-hand find} by adding legs so they feel more substantial, possibly adding a nail head detail and/or mirror to the top, and upgrading the hardware:
 
 I plan to hang artwork or decorations in these two locations, regardless of which inspiration board is selected:
 
As for the floor plan, the bed and dressers will remain in their current locations, and a night stand will be placed on either side of the bed, each with a lamp and a mirror hung above to create more light and reflection. I am a symmetrical girl so this will also aid in my attempt to achieve a perfect layout through symmetry! I would love a chair in the corner by the window, or possibly even a little desk for my jewellery and laptop. But that will be down the road.
 
Now, if I can only decide which inspiration board I want... this could take a while...
 
I'll keep you posted!
 
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment