February 2, 2013

Current kitchen

We have not been working on the house lately, but there have been several updates in the kitchen since this post of yore, which I have not shared in detail yet. However, some of you observant folks may have noticed some updates in my posts regarding Nicholas’ and Luca's birthday parties.

The updates that took place in the kitchen since I last shared details are the following:
  • Cabinet doors and drawers have been installed {there are still touch-ups required to the paint job};
  • Door hardware has been installed;
  • New light fixture has been hung over the sink and in the center of the kitchen; pot lights have also been installed over the range area;
  • Vinyl and limestone floor tiles have been installed and sealed {absolutely LOVE this product!};
  • Appliances have been installed;
  • Our things have been unpacked and somewhat organized;
  • Sliding glass door display shelves have been styled {mind you one of the glass panels shattered when it was slid-over one day};
  • Countertops have been installed;
  • Accent mosaic backsplash has been installed behind range;
  • Chimney hood fan has been installed over range;
  • Curtains have been hung over sink and between dining room and kitchen {my amazing Mom sewed the panels for the kitchen window from a fabric I purchased through Tonic Living {LOVE this site!} };
  • Transition strip between kitchen and dining room floors was installed.
Still to come {either in the near or far future}:
  • Touch-up paint on cabinets, walls and ceiling;
  • {THIS IS A MAYBE} add trim to cabinet doors to obtain a shaker style;
  • Paint a semi-gloss protective coat on all cabinet exteriors {I find the flat look of the melamine paint a little too dull and lack-luster, and so far easy to chip};
  • Select and install backsplash for remainder of kitchen {on sink wall, side-entrance wall behind microwave, short counter area beside fridge, remaining areas around range, and buffet area}.
I have a few other projects in mind for the kitchen before I feel that it is really complete and fully functional. I would like to create a little coffee bar area beside the fridge. It has just enough space for the coffee maker and a lovely toaster. Organizing our pantry using baskets is a temporary must on my near-future-to-do-list, as most of our food is stored in lower cabinets, so it will be much easier to categorize and pull out a basket as a opposed to bending over or sitting on the floor to see all that is hidden in the depths of the cupboards. I love the wire style organizers for pantries, like these from Lee Valley Tools, and would love to invest in some one day:



Even organizing under the sink is a to-do on my list:

Inspiration is so easy to find {and obsess over} with sites like Pinterest, where I found all of these kitchen organizing pics:

Lighted pantry:

Organized shelves using dollar store containers {i HEART this}:

Hanging pots and pans instead of stacking, which is so awkward:

Even Lazy Susan's in the fridge! LOVE Lazy Susan {at least I love the idea... I don't have one but I must... get... one... or ten...}:

{See other non-kitchen uses for Lazy Susan, also from Pinterest}:

Bathroom products:

Craft supplies:

Jewellery:

First aid supplies:

Shoes {what I call a Lady Shoe-san!}:

They have even come up with a REALLY Lazy Susan, I mean, a gliding Lazy Susan: {I could actually use this for my 8' long table!} 
The world has gone lazy... I mean CRAZY!

Ok, back to my kitchen and to my wish list. Eventually we would love an island and we most definitely have the space for it. I would especially love one that has hidden casters so that it may be wheeled around to suit our entertaining needs, whether it be used in the kitchen, dining room or even living room.

Here is a reminder of the Inspiration Board, shared here:

The subway marble tile is still my number one choice for the rest of the backsplash. The upgraded faucet and sink will come in time. As for the light fixtures, I went a different route as the ones in my board were just too expensive! So, to show you were we stand, here are the belated Befores, In-Betweens, and Afters.

* * BE WARNED: please forgive the of-so-unstylish child-proof door locks... I have a 13-month-old who LOVES snooping through the cabinets. * *

The Befores, In-Betweens and Afters

BEFORE:

IN-BETWEEN:

AFTER:
  
  



BEFORE:


IN-BETWEEN:

AFTER:

{Remember this DIY Café sign?}

My newest jewel in the kitchen: the blingy mixed stainless steel and natural stone mosaic tile! In LOVE!

{Notice the few paint touch-ups still to be done since the tile job...}



BEFORE:

IN-BETWEEN:


AFTER:



BEFORE:

IN-BETWEEN:


AFTER:






BEFORE:

IN-BETWEEN: {Still love seeing the specks of dust in the air... Am I glad that has settled!}

AFTER:



I am THRILLED {if I could make that word flash in color to express how thrilled I actually am, I would, but I can't... instead I'll bold and underline and cap it!} with the result of this space! I am especially proud of myself {and relieved} because I picked every paint color and finish without actually being in the space itself.

I still also have a small purchasing wish list for the kitchen and dining room, which includes:
  • more touches of my accent colors of aqua and apple green, and possibly throwing in a bit of soft yellow to brighten things up a little more;
  • a small area rug or long runner for in front of the sink, in a bright and happy green hue;
  • a nicer / newer / smaller microwave in stainless steal;
  • a 4-slice toaster in stainless steal;
  • a larger area rug for the dining room, which won't happen until my children stop deliberately dropping things on the floor {yes, Luca you are again to blame...};
  • reupholstering the bench and dining chairs {note: this set was NOT cheap and at only 4 years old, we already have several tears in the leather, including one large hole in the bench}: I'd like to recover them in a lighter fabric to break-up such of a large dark suite, and possibly recover the end chairs in a different fabric or style as the rest {i.e. full chair slip cover as opposed to just covering the seat} to create more interest
  • a Kitchenaid stand-up mixer in either robins egg blue, apple green or buttery yellow {I will probably be wishing for this one FOREVER... but hey, a girl's gotta have a dream!}.
At least this part of the house is done and very much in use! We have hosted several dinner parties already, including Christmas day with 22 people (plus 4 kids) and we were all comfortably seated! I am still amazed at the transformation!



0 comments:

Post a Comment