October 27, 2013

Confessions of a Decoraholic

"Hello everyone. My name is Mylène Desjardins Beadow, and I am a Decoraholic. By definition, that means that my mind is thinking of a past, current or future decorating project every waking minute of my life!"
 
Although this may seem fun to some people, being a declared Decoraholic has its problems. Not only is your mind always occupied with decorating distractions, more than likely a Decoraholic has at least 2 or 3 {or more} projects going at once, always starting the next before finishing the previous. But a Decoraholic also has a tendency to tire more quickly of certain décor choices if she does not take the time to focus on one project at a time to ensure 100% satisfaction.
 
Why do I confess my sins to you all, you may ask? Because I am unable to convince myself to love the colorful theme I chose for the master bedroom... it is just not doing it for me! Although I still love the look of this inspiration board, and have put some effort into pulling it off, I am having difficulty getting this same feeling from the room itself.
Here's what I have done to realise this inspiration board:
-added colorful accent pillows;
-DIY-ed artwork to include all the colors in the scheme; and,
-purchased 2 beautiful table lights.
 
All in all, other than the mirrored bedside tables, apple green curtains and area rug, this board has been achieved.
 
However, when I chose the fabric for my headboard {which I LOVE!}, I knew that I was keeping grey in the bedroom, which originally I had planned to slowly remove from the décor. The headboard made me realise that my moody teal walls needed a just-as-moody grey sidekick. Toned down with white, the room would feel more planned as opposed to just "forced" together. See where I am going?
 
After seeing my pictures, and going in and out of the room for a few days, I quickly realised all the colored accents were actually taking away from my gorgeous headboard focal point:
 
 
 
So I did a little experimenting, all while folding my Sunday laundry in my bedroom. I removed the colored bedding accents, added my three platinum grey pillows, and took a few test pictures, plus walked in and out of the room a few times {I know, I'm funny!}: 
 
 
 
As soon as I took away the colored bedding, I instantly loved the look more, and felt that it really let the headboard be the star. I did a quick lamp switcheroo by bringing the apple green lamps into the living room and bringing the silver living room lamps to the bedroom.
 
The purple quilt and pillows were downgraded  discarded donated to the guest bedroom. As for the chevron accent pillows? They were added to the living room décor where I am currently working on lightening the look {more on that later}.
 
I then set out to rework the accessories and artwork to achieve a more balanced look. I wanted to:
-hang a mirror over each bedside lamp, possibly hung from a glossy grey ribbon;
-display wedding pictures to replace the colorful posters; and,
-add current pictures of the boys on large canvases over our dressers.

First, I chose 8 wedding photos {4 of the ladies, 4 of the men} and elected to print them in 5" x 7" and in color. I found frames for 8" x 10" photos in a platinum color at Dollar Tree for $1.25 each. I centered each photo on the white background which turned out great! These frames replaced the colorful DIY signs I had made to incorporate all my colors.
 
 
 
Next, I asked my brother-in-law {who has an awesome camera and the skills to go with it} to take some close-ups of my boys when we were visiting my BIL's family in Waterloo. I had one of each boy printed in poster size at Wal-Mart for $20 each. I considered having them mounted on canvases by Wal-Mart but the service started at $60 a pop, so I opted to do it myself. With a little Mod Podge and duct tape {to hold down everything neatly in the back}, I pulled off the canvases in a few minutes. They received a prime spot over our dressers, where I have really been struggling to decide what to hang. I think they look great!
 
 
Finally, I used two already-on-hand round mirrors that were looking for a home. They were a bronze finish so I opted to give them a brushed-on look in glossy white. I hung one over each night stand and added ribbon to pretty them up and make them a little more substantial without stealing the show. {Side note: I thought to brush on some glue and add some glitter, but quickly realised they would be to glitzy and immature. A quick rinse in warm water allowed me to start over for what I feel is a more sophisticated look.}
 
The overall look is much more grown up and relaxing without a bunch of colors competing for the spotlight. Now the headboard is allowed to shine!
 
 
Here's one last peek at where we started:
 
BEFORE:
 
PROGRESS:
 
MORE PROGRESS:
 
AFTER:
 
 
 
  
 
 
I think it is safe to say I won't be touching this room for a while. Although I have to admit my beige bedskirt has been bothering... like I said: Decoraholic!