October 10, 2013

Let's hear it for the boys! Boys' Bedrooms PART I

I realised not long ago that I never really shared pictures of the boys' bedrooms since working on them. So here is the first of two posts devoted to Luca's and Nicholas' rooms!
 
Let's start with Luca as I have shared very little of his personal space!
Here's the little man during our trip Thanksgiving weekend. He will be 2 years on December 14!
 
I'll save you a lot of reading since my last post was super long, and jump right along to...
 
THE BEFORES AND AFTERS
 
BEFORE:
 
PROGRESS:
While working on the space, we found this awesome treasure: a sweet message that reads "Adelard Breton Loves Emilienne Dussault". How special! I just had to take a picture to share and remember it by!
 
MORE PROGRESS: 

The room was painted, the window was changed and new carpet, baseboards and trim were installed.
 
The painted stripes I did myself and absolutely LOVE! In such a small room, I really wanted a strong focal wall.
 
AFTER:
The entire color scheme for Luca's room was determined based on the dinosaur  quilt my mother made for him before he was born.
 


I have been slowly adding owl accents. I found this sweet peek-a-boo owl at Home Sense in May and thought it was perfect! Isn't he sweet? I am always keeping an eye out for other owl figurines to add to his room.
 
 
 
This slowly-growing gallery includes two animal canvases I already owned but had never used, an owl I had created as part of Luca's birthday décor, and Luca's first drawings which I framed in Dollar Tree frames. I will add to the gallery as I go.

I want to create a birth announcement which I had done for Nicholas, sort of like this example from Etsy:
Modern Typography Birth Announcement Print 
 
I purchased a yard of this owl fabric just recently and plan to make an accent pillow for the chair. The tri-color knit blanket was mine as a baby and just happens to match the scheme with its cream, green and yellow colors. The rocking chair is a hand-me-down from my sister Adèle who used it her nurseries. It belongs to her husbands' family, meaning he was rocked in it as a baby! I love furniture with meaning! She had made the cushion for the chair and I feel it works in the space so am keeping it. 
 
 
 
The owl canvases were also a found treasure at Home Sense in May. Aren't they perfect for the space? And the sayings of "SIMPLY LOVE" and "FAMILY FIRST" are also quite suitable for a nursery. I just love when a find like this matches perfectly with a room that's already complete!
 
 
 
I love this globe which Luca received from his Godmother {aka my sister-in-law} for Christmas last year. And I {aka Santa} gave him those blocks which I also used to decorate his shelves like this:
I thought it was only appropriate to use some of his blocks to spell I LOVE LUCA in French! Plus it fills the shelf until I find more decorations.
 
I also plan on framing some pictures of Luca since birth and creating a gallery over his white dresser. I love displaying photos to show how much they have changed since day 1.
 
A few other TO-DO items for Luca's room include hanging curtains, changing up the hardware on his white dresser and finding a cute area rug. These are the curtains I am eyeing:
 
I am thinking this pistachio color would be perfect:
Pistachio
 
So that's it! Stay tuned for Nico's room in PART II of this post...