November 16, 2016

Bye Bye gallery Wall!

I created a gallery wall in the living room behind my television a few years ago, but now feel like I need a change for something more sophisticated and mature. I have been thinking of a few ideas and thought I would share them. Now, if you know me at all, you know that I am a very symmetrical girl! I just love balance! So my options will include two of the same thing {I know, kinda boring}.

This is what the wall looks like now:



And here are some ideas I am considering:



Gold mirrors

I have been eyeing these gold mirrors from Wal-Mart for some time now, and want to incorporate them in my décor somewhere. I was hoping to add them in the basement, but I think I will restrict myself to more “manly” décor for the “man cave” and for Jon’s sake. However, placing them in the living room could really jazz up my already-colorful décor and add a whole other dimension of color and light.


DIY canvas art

While perusing the craft section at Wal-Mart the other day, I came across a pair of canvases in a really great size, and for a really great price. It would be nice to create DIY art in a larger scale and hang one on either side of the television. I like the look of abstract art in two or three colors, like these examples from Pinterest.





{Side note: I just noticed all of these have a touch of gold!}

Old windows and shelves

If I were to want a more farmhouse style, I could opt for old windows. I love the look of a shelf with old windows and other decor accessories. Plus it would give me another surface to decorate. Adding empty windows also makes a space feel more expansive, the same as large mirrors would. This would definitely create a more relaxed and country-chic look.

Smaller gallery times 2

I could re-use some of the items and create two smaller galleries to place on either side of the television. By reducing the amount and limiting my selection to the more neutral items, I could achieve a more sophisticated and grown up look.

{I can't find a picture of the exact look I want, so I made a little drawing! LOL}


After seeing all of these options together, I think I know which one I am leaning towards.

And since changing this wall would require quite a bit of patching and sanding, I am actually considering a new paint color for the entire space. I have loved Chelsea Grey by Benjamin Moore for just over a year, and have yet to use it in the house. 

It would be a far cry from the lighter colors in the rest of the home, but since the space is large and has a large 13-foot window, it can handle a darker color.

If I were to repaint the entire living room, I may consider changing my chevron pillows {don’t worry, I will use them somewhere else cause they are only a few years old!}. I think moody grey walls, chocolate brown sofas, apple green accessories and aqua touches would be enough colors for one space!

On the other hand, if I ever manage to find slipcovers for all three pieces in my sofa set, in a beautiful pale grey or even white, and for an affordable price, the pillows could definitely stay {Basically, I want to get rid of the brown!}.


Plus, if I were to repaint my walls in the lush grey color, I may move my grey area rug to my bedroom, and opt for a brighter rug. I saw one at a local flooring store that I am just dying to buy! It looks similar to this but lighter:


Hmmm... Is it just me or did this all of a sudden become a whole room makeover? Oh well! I’ll be back with the results!