June 22, 2017

Absolutely floored!

Well, I did it! I gathered the courage to pull-up the carpet in our little cottage. For those of you who have never laid eyes on my carpeted cottage, here it is from last year:




I called my friend, Roxanne, and waited for Jon to leave for a weekend fishing trip {hi hi hi} and we did it. Thank goodness Roxanne was super duper strong, cause I was not {which I already knew}.

When I was waiting for Roxanne to arrive so that we could start, I was tempted to remove an area of rug because I had no idea what was underneath. Lo and behold, and much to my excitement, this is what I found:

I never would have dreamed that this would be the floor underneath! A few hours later, this is what the cottage looked like:


There was one section, the kitchen to be exact, that we were unable to remove as it seemed to be glued down somehow. But that didn't worry me too much... nothing a little bit of leftover vinyl or linoleum can't fix, so I will look into that later {stay tuned}.

For now, I am torn between two finishing options:
1) sanding and staining:

2) sanding and painting with a pale greige by Benjamin Moore called Seaspray:




I know most people will lean towards staining, but I am personally loving the painted creamy floor look. Keep in mind there is already A LOT of stained wood in this cottage, so toning-down with a bit of off white would be beautiful, calming and it would ground the entire space. 

I have also hung curtains in both the kitchen:
 

and living room {sorry, no close-up pic but they are a creamy off-white and hung very high above the windows}.

From the curtains in the kitchen, I would like to pull the following colors {also from Benjamin Moore}:
Danse de Soleil for the entrance door {both sides} and the table legs:

Fiji for the front of the kitchen peninsula and barn doors for the bedrooms {yes, I said BARN DOORS!}:

Are you surprised by my color choices? Or by the lack of apple green? I decided to step away from my much-loved apple green for this space, but not forever... 

Other than these painting to-dos, I would like to recover the couch cushions for the built-in, and that is it! The rest will stay as is with all its charm. I will also find beachy accessories and signs to fill the walls. I was thinking of using one of my favorite photos of last summer, blowing it up and dividing it straight down the middle into two large frames to hang in the living area:


Sort of like this:

What would you do with the floor: stain or paint?



0 comments:

Post a Comment